We're going through all our "stuff" and sorting things into different groups, depending upon whether they will stay with us, go into storage, or find a new home somewhere else. Sally complains that I have more shoes than she does, but I remind her that each one of my shoes has a specific purpose, and some of them have been in my life longer than she has. Since I'm up waiting for Sally to finish her sharing time lesson, I thought I'd set the record straight once and for all. Starting from the top left and going clockwise:
Cross-Trainers - I am shamefully aware that these are the newest looking shoes that I have. I purchased them to help prepare for the FBI's fitness test back when I thought it might be an interesting career. They get used once in a while, but not nearly as often as they should. In my defense, the Wii Fit says to not wear shoes. That's considered exercise, right?
High-Top Black Doc Martens - These were purchased in Bulgaria during my mission in 1995. I wore them during the winter because the streets were muddy and I hated getting water in my socks. The rubber stayed flexible in the cold, so I can see why the British army liked them. These finally went to D.I today after collecting dust for the past few years. Good shoes.
Brown Bass - These are my brown "church shoes" and also get worn to work on days when I like to pretend that there is a dress code at Cypress. They're not as comfortable as Docs, but they're ok.
Danners - These are by far my favorite shoes. I would wear these boots every day if Sally would let me (I'd also dress in canvas cargo pants and a multi-pocket shirt, too, but I don't even dream about that one). These are my second pair of Danners after the first ones withstood nearly a decade of use. These boots have gone all over the world with me on various trips and have saved my feet from getting sore on many occasions.
Columbia Mickey Mouse Boots - I purchased these on a whim right before my mission when snowboarding still required you to strap regular boots onto a board. I never really learned to snowboard, but my feet have been kept warm during fishing trips and the annual machine gun shoot in Parma, Idaho.
Red Wings - My parents bought me these boots when I was 17 and had started a job with a local construction company (Marriott, for those in the know). I use these boots to do any work that requires steel toes and shank, or anything really dirty. They get used almost every Saturday, yet somehow they still hold together -- I'm thinking that one day they're just going to suddenly explode. They need new soles (they're worn almost flat), but I can work in them all day without getting tired.
High-Top Brown Doc Martens - Don't tell anyone, but I wear these when I am not in the mood to wear dress socks. They were purchased in London right after my mission and are still as comfortable as ever. They don't breathe well, though, so I don't wear them much in the summer when it's hot.
Nike Water Sandals - Remember when everyone had to have Tevas, or whatever they were called? Yeah, still have mine. Actually, I think these are my second pair. I wear them to get wet, obviously, or when I don't feel that socks are a necessary part of the wardrobe. And, yes, they do get worn to work during the summer. I often wonder if that will change up in Washington.
Sketchers - I purchased these with a gift card that I won at work for submitting the winning names for the conference rooms in our building. I chose to name the rooms after fish that were native to Idaho. I beat out mountains and mammals. Go team. Anyway, they need to be retired because they weren't very good shoes to begin with (what do you expect - I was desperate for some new shoes and had a $30 gift card to Wal-Mart) and they are starting to get that "sneaker" smell. Ugh.
Low-Top Black Doc Martens - Did I mention that I think Docs are great shoes? These are also from my mission and are holding up nicely. They're my black "church shoes" and get regular work visits. The soles still have tread after a decade. Amazing.
Slip-Ons - Sally hates that I wear my shoes in the house. I hate that every pair of socks that she owns has holes in the heel from being worn outside in the yard. In an attempt to reach a middle ground, we both got slip-on shoes that could be put on for any trips outside (like taking out the trash), and then we'd wear socks inside the house. I think that lasted about a month. I'm wearing my Danners in the living room right now while typing this. Take that!
And now you know way more about me than you ever wanted to. Sorry. It's late and I haven't been sleeping well lately. Next week we can go through the closet and talk about my coats...
Cross-Trainers - I am shamefully aware that these are the newest looking shoes that I have. I purchased them to help prepare for the FBI's fitness test back when I thought it might be an interesting career. They get used once in a while, but not nearly as often as they should. In my defense, the Wii Fit says to not wear shoes. That's considered exercise, right?
High-Top Black Doc Martens - These were purchased in Bulgaria during my mission in 1995. I wore them during the winter because the streets were muddy and I hated getting water in my socks. The rubber stayed flexible in the cold, so I can see why the British army liked them. These finally went to D.I today after collecting dust for the past few years. Good shoes.
Brown Bass - These are my brown "church shoes" and also get worn to work on days when I like to pretend that there is a dress code at Cypress. They're not as comfortable as Docs, but they're ok.
Danners - These are by far my favorite shoes. I would wear these boots every day if Sally would let me (I'd also dress in canvas cargo pants and a multi-pocket shirt, too, but I don't even dream about that one). These are my second pair of Danners after the first ones withstood nearly a decade of use. These boots have gone all over the world with me on various trips and have saved my feet from getting sore on many occasions.
Columbia Mickey Mouse Boots - I purchased these on a whim right before my mission when snowboarding still required you to strap regular boots onto a board. I never really learned to snowboard, but my feet have been kept warm during fishing trips and the annual machine gun shoot in Parma, Idaho.
Red Wings - My parents bought me these boots when I was 17 and had started a job with a local construction company (Marriott, for those in the know). I use these boots to do any work that requires steel toes and shank, or anything really dirty. They get used almost every Saturday, yet somehow they still hold together -- I'm thinking that one day they're just going to suddenly explode. They need new soles (they're worn almost flat), but I can work in them all day without getting tired.
High-Top Brown Doc Martens - Don't tell anyone, but I wear these when I am not in the mood to wear dress socks. They were purchased in London right after my mission and are still as comfortable as ever. They don't breathe well, though, so I don't wear them much in the summer when it's hot.
Nike Water Sandals - Remember when everyone had to have Tevas, or whatever they were called? Yeah, still have mine. Actually, I think these are my second pair. I wear them to get wet, obviously, or when I don't feel that socks are a necessary part of the wardrobe. And, yes, they do get worn to work during the summer. I often wonder if that will change up in Washington.
Sketchers - I purchased these with a gift card that I won at work for submitting the winning names for the conference rooms in our building. I chose to name the rooms after fish that were native to Idaho. I beat out mountains and mammals. Go team. Anyway, they need to be retired because they weren't very good shoes to begin with (what do you expect - I was desperate for some new shoes and had a $30 gift card to Wal-Mart) and they are starting to get that "sneaker" smell. Ugh.
Low-Top Black Doc Martens - Did I mention that I think Docs are great shoes? These are also from my mission and are holding up nicely. They're my black "church shoes" and get regular work visits. The soles still have tread after a decade. Amazing.
Slip-Ons - Sally hates that I wear my shoes in the house. I hate that every pair of socks that she owns has holes in the heel from being worn outside in the yard. In an attempt to reach a middle ground, we both got slip-on shoes that could be put on for any trips outside (like taking out the trash), and then we'd wear socks inside the house. I think that lasted about a month. I'm wearing my Danners in the living room right now while typing this. Take that!
And now you know way more about me than you ever wanted to. Sorry. It's late and I haven't been sleeping well lately. Next week we can go through the closet and talk about my coats...
3 comments:
Uh, did you just get spammed, or do you know 津 ?
Anyway, I just wanted to point out that this must run in the family. I'm about to turn 27 and I have a pair of Docs from when I turned 14, a pair from when I turned 16, and a pair of Nike water sandals that I bought in Lake Tahoe when someone stole mine, also at age 14. If the shoe fits, wear it... and wear it a LONG time!
I remember a number of those shoes!
MOM
How on earth do you have shoes that are so old and yet still in good condition? I really liked this post Greg! And tell Sally that Jeff has more shoes than that. Some he has and hasn't ever worn. Some he insists on keeping even though he doesn't wear them. At least you can make a case for why you keep each pair.
Post a Comment