Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Day of Reflection

I remember the first week of September 2002 very well. We purchased a new car, I started my MBA, and I just found out we were expecting our first child. Ever the planner, I remember all the things I resolved I was going to do as a mother. (What a fitting week to reflect on that, huh?) Anyway, one decision I made was that I was going to nurse my children.

After Ethan was born, I found out it would not be possible for me to be one of the mothers who could claim that their child "never had a bottle." I felt SO MUCH GUILT. Greg tried to remind me that it was due to circumstances beyond my control, but I can vividly remember the horrible guilt I felt at every feeding from the time Ethan was 6 weeks old until he was almost 4 months old. Then, his first tooth came in and I counted my blessings. Amazing how your perspective can change, huh?

The doctor told me four months was very early for teeth to come in and not to be surprised if they were weak and cavity ridden. So, of course I worried. Then, three months ago, Ethan's two bottom front
permanent teeth started to come in BEHIND the baby teeth. I called the dentist,

"Is this supposed to happen? Aren't the other ones supposed to fall out?"
"They will" the office assured me. "Just give it time. They will push through and loosen the roots of the baby teeth."

We waited, we wiggled. Heck, the kid got nailed in the mouth last night at a Cinco de Mayo party with a football and was bleeding all over. But the teeth hung on. So, this morning, the dentist pulled them.
#1.) Ethan was SUPER BRAVE. This is a picture of him before we left. He was "excited" to go because then the tooth fairy will come tonight.
#2.) I almost hit the floor twice during the procedure. I talked and talked and talked so I wouldn't faint. The poor staff. It didn't help that the dentist was saying, "Wow - usually these are just pop, pop, but these guys are really hanging on!" Yea, that about dropped me. Greg will be going next time.
#3.) I have no idea why I am so sad about him losing teeth. Yes, it isn't how I always thought it would be, but it's like another sign that he's growing up. Maybe it's because it's so close to Mother's Day, maybe it's because he is turning six next week, or maybe it's all the changes going on right now, but I just feel like crying. Any insight by you mothers who have gone through this would be much appreciated!

Anyway, I am going to spare you the picture of the gaping holes or the dislodged teeth, although if you are lucky enough to live by us and saw Ethan today, you got to see everything first-hand! (Sorry - he was so proud) That is when I am really grateful for other understanding parents who don't mind looking at your child's icky gums and acting like it was the highlight of their day! :)
thanks

5 comments:

Brad said...

You probably didn't know this, but when I was seven, my top four permanent incisors all came in in front of my other teeth. I looked like a shark for a while. I had to get them pulled out, but I survived. I'm afraid I can't relate to being a mother, but from a kid's point of view, it makes me appreciate the fact that I have such a nice looking grin. :)

Unknown said...

Teeth are weird...I think even the dentists don't know everything. But dang we have to have 'em!

Jeff and Nichole Burton said...

I'm glad he was a tough guy for you. How horrible would it have been if he was scared and upset about it. It makes me want to faint just hearing the story. I hate blood. And dentists for that matter.

Elder Max and Sister Pat said...

Taking them to the dentist is much easier than leaving them at the MTC.:-)
You wanted something from a mother who has been through it. That's really true.
Have a great mother's day!

Schofields said...

Heidi just lost her first molar! It really shook me up... that and she has a few black heads on her nose... (wimper/sniff) :(
I wonder what it feels like for my mom to see gray in MY hair!

Way to be brave Ethan-- go ahead and cry Sally!
:)