So, I thought I would post this for my friend, Jen, who had some house troubles of her own lately. We moved into this new house with NEW floors, NEW appliances, new everything in May 2007.
The saga of the range started about a year ago when one day the display went out. You may think that would just affect the clock, but no, the oven is completely useless with it. You can't turn it on or see what temperature you're at without it. So, it was 6 months into warranty and Sears came out to fix it for free. Fast-forward 6 more months to May 13, 2008 (note: 5 days after the one year warranty expired.), the clock goes out again. This time, it is NOT under warranty and although it is the same part and the same problem, Sears' work only has a 90-day guarantee, so it was a $300 fix. Luckily, the builder and Sears worked together and we got it for free. I guess that should have been my first clue.
Anyway, for the last few months, I have been smelling gas. Greg hasn't smelled it, so I kept thinking it was in my head. This week I had a terrible cold and I could still smell it. So, today I called the gas company. They confirmed, yes we had a nice gas leak. It was probably from one of the FOUR times the oven had to be pulled out and reinstalled. The guy fixed it, but before he left, he checked the oven. It seems the oven is emitting 80 ppm of carbon monoxide and anything over 10ppm, they are supposed to do something about. So, there is a nice big yellow and red tag on my range that says it is inoperable until they come fix it.
At this point, what do I do? Buy a new one or pay for this to get fixed? If the clock goes out one more time, I'm up to the price of a new oven.....ah, the joys of home ownership.....but I guess I should be grateful we aren't in foreclosure. This will be a good test of how well we eat without a stove or oven. PB&J anyone?
2 comments:
Oh! How sad! Jeff has a co-worker that always buys stuff from Sears and always buys the extended warranty and always uses it. For us the moral of the story is - don't buy stuff at Sears, but the co-worker sees it as two for the price of one. Good luck!
Time to break out the camping griddle! I just read this post. Yikes! Makes me nervous to ever own a NEW home...which of course, we all think should be in perfect working order, for at least a while! Scary about the carbon monoxide...
Post a Comment