Monday, September 8, 2008

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Kindergarten has opened a whole new world to Ethan and he says something new and funny almost everyday. In fact, sometimes it's two or three times a day. I'm not as good as I should be about writing them all down, but here are a few.

A friend gave us this "Indiana Jones" hat and Ethan said, "Cool, an Indiana Jones hat!" He put it on and ran into the bathroom to look at himself in the mirror. He emerged and sadly proclaimed, "Dad, I look like Woody!" (from Toy Story) To which Greg and I both thought "Yes, you do" I guess it wasn't the exact look he was going for.

On Saturday, one of Ethan's friend's brothers got baptized. In the LDS church, members are baptized at the age of eight. Ethan has always been taught that when he's eight he will get baptized, too. After we attended Austin's baptism, we took the kids for a relaxing evening at the park with Baxter. A nice couple was there and asked Ethan about his dog. They said, "How old is he?" To which Ethan replied, "He's seven and soon he'll be baptized!" The couple (who were not LDS) looked at us very strangely. Greg and I couldn't help busting up, for which I'm sure the couple breathed a sigh of relief. I just laughed it off and said, "Well, I guess in his book all dogs DON'T go to heaven unless they're baptized, but we don't have any plans for him!"

In Primary, if he doesn't know the words to a song, he will replace them with his own words. For example, did you know the end of "I Love to See the Temple" actually goes like this: "I'll prepare myself for his command; This is my secret duty." The best part is the fevor and reverance with which he sings that line. Also, the second verse of "I Am a Child of God" really says, "I am a child of God and so Nephites are great." Yes, we're still working on those, but the program is in two weeks, so I think it's a lost cause.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

So cute - I would totally love to hear him sing!

Becky and Jimmy said...

How cute! The thought of baptizing Baxter would make anyone smile :) I think he takes after his mother when it comes to song lyrics!! hmmmmm...."I'll eat an apple pie"..he he he!
love,
Becky