Saturday, September 20, 2008

Celebration!


(Disclaimer: I do not have any pictures of this event because I didn't want to run with my camera and no one else around me had a camera because we didn't want them to get wet. So, this picture is from the news' photography. There is a video of me crossing the finish line, but I don't think anyone should have to watch that.)

Today my friends and I participated in the largest 5k in the country. It's been going on for 16 years and I've run it 4 out of the last 5 years (I was in PA last year). This was by far the WETTEST year, ever. Last night a major storm came through and drenched the valley. It continued raining all morning. After an hour of standing at the starting line, we were soaked to the bone. My calves cramped up from being cold, but I was still excited because it was my first time running in the competitive wave. Then, out of the blue, they started our wave. You couldn't really hear the announcers because all the technical equipment was covered with plastic and such. So, it was a surprise to me, but we were on our way!

I learned a couple of things during this race:

#1.) Running in the rain is great because no one can tell how bad you really sweat and you cool off quickly.
#2.) If you order a shirt two sizes too big and it doesn't shrink when you wash it the night before, it becomes a very large, VERY HEAVY handicap during the race - along with the rain slicker that seemed to absorb more water than it repelled.
#3.) Everyone has their own celebration story. Here is mine.

A few years ago, my friend, Sarah and I decided to run this 5k. Just jog it - and keep jogging. Since neither one of us was a "runner", we weren't going for speed, just endurance. And we did it. The next year, we jogged it again, but this time, we shaved 6 minutes off our time. The next year, Sarah was diagnosed with aggressive cancer. She was only 26. In the midst of surgeries and with chemotherapy looming ahead, Sarah could not participate in the 5k. That year, I told her I would "run it for her." I wore Live Strong bracelet and posted our best time ever. The next year, Sarah and I ran it together. It was an emotional time. Words cannot describe the feeling of being there again with my best friend. I still remember looking at her as the planes flew over the finish line and thinking how she was so much stronger than anyone I knew. When we finished, we were both happy and crying.

Like I said, I didn't get to run it last year. But, a few weeks before today, I happen upon that same Live Strong bracelet. It belonged with its rightful owner, so I took it to the starting line gave it to Sarah. She wore it as she raced today. What an inspiration.

It was an awesome morning - exhausting, but awesome. I ran a personal best for this 5k, but it hasn't officially posted yet. From what I could tell, I ran it slower that the 5k Race for the Cure (that course is completely flat while this one has a couple of hills), but faster than the 6k I did in June. I think I could have done a little bit better, but you are always your own worst critic. I need to learn to pace myself. My first mile was really fast, the second one was below my average and the third was about right. Maybe that comes with experience which is what I'm trying to do....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go! and run the 5k. Maybe next year I'll try and keep up with you or see you there. Finding your friends among so many women is impossible!

Becky and Jimmy said...

That is an awesome story! I am so proud of you. Keep up the good work! Love ya! -b

Jeff and Nichole Burton said...

Congrats on the 5k Sally! I was thinking about you and we'll have to catch up sometime soon! Love you!