From Greg:
Ethan and his friend Jonathan enjoyed this year's IAWCA tracer shoot. It was a balmy 14 degrees F that night, so it helped keep the crowds down to about 30 spectators. I saw at least a half-dozen kids under the age of 10, so we didn't even stand out this year.
This guy and his wife are my favorite people to watch at the shoot. This is the guy who owns the truck with the twin guns on the back. If anyone is going to survive the apocalypse holed up in a bunker somewhere, my money is on them (they actually seem very nice).
One thing I didn't take a picture of was when a guy came tearing into the parking lot in his truck and yelling at all of us to stop. The range master had just called the 1 minute to cease-fire warning, so several hundred rounds had already been fired. It turns out that the guy had left his tractor parked about 1/2 mile downrange. Oops. I'm not sure what he was thinking in the first place, but I imagine the sight of all those tracers flying through the sky added to his panic. The sheriff showed up right before round 2 was set to start and we wondered if he was going to shut it down. True to small-town law enforcement form, however, he had brought along his own ear protection and got to shoot in round 2.
And, finally, here is the first two minutes of Round 2 of the evening's shoot. Yes, that's Ethan yelling "Fire!" while the range master is running through the safety checks.
The next shoot is a daytime Saturday event around St. Patrick's Day, and anyone is welcome to come stay with us to see it. That's the one where they shoot up a car. The website says that it's "Guaranteed to get rid of the winter blahs". Yeah - permanently, if you know what I mean...
1 comment:
I've never seen anything like that before. How cool!
Post a Comment