Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Bath time!

Here are some cute bath time pictures from Katie and then a little ranting from me. These were taken about a week ago. Feel free to skip the ranting :).


Template by Heidi at Lentz Blog
Graphics by Jenna Robertson at Digital Scrapbook Place

Today was one of those errands days - you know, when you run everywhere for twenty different reasons. It wasn't all that bad - just a few hours in the morning, but then I was able to come home and relax for a little while. That's when I noticed that Baxter's "cough" (which started in the middle of the night last night) was getting worse. I called the vet and they booked me for a 4pm appointment. As soon as Katie woke up from her nap, I loaded EVERYBODY in the truck and we went in. Turns out, my little guy has kennel cough! YIKES! We have never boarded or kenneled him, so he's never been exposed. But once Katie's was born, I started taking him to Petsmart to be groomed. He went about a week ago and I guess he caught it there. The words "kennel cough" just sound so awful. It's so sad. I knew something was wrong when he was just moping around all day with his ears back and his tail down. The upside for him is that we hide the medicine in yummy people food so he won't think twice about swallowing it. Hopefully, he'll be back to normal in a week. The vet said it's just like a human cold and we've been lucky that he's 6 and a half and never had it. My good little "first-born" caught his first cold!

In other news, we entered Ethan in a lottery for kindergarten today. Yes, you heard right. I won't even TRY to explain the system here. Greg and I poured over the school district website for a couple hours the other night trying to figure out which school he should go to. Do you choose your "home" school, or a "traditional" school, or a "magnet" school or a "year-round" school? Should it be centered around math and technology or arts and music? Which "track" would you like? Will he have a morning or afternoon schedule? What is the busing schedule like? Not to mention school test scores, location, and taking things into consideration about where all his friends are going. Ugh. It's KINDERGARTEN! I feel like we are picking out a college! Anyway, we will be notified through the mail in March as to whether or not he got in. (I'm kinda doubt he will thanks to both Greg's and I's uncanny luck of NEVER getting chosen, but I'm trying to be optimistic.) Then, we will go to orientation, enrollment, registration, and the whole thing. IF we don't get in to the school we applied for, we can't get into our second choice and he'll have to go to our third choice. It's so strange, I guess we'll see how everything works out. Mainly, I hope he's happy and thrives wherever he goes. I guess I just have to remember - it IS just kindergarten. Of course, there's always charter and private schools....

2 comments:

Paige said...

That is a crazy kindergarten system. I'm sure it will work out for the best. It is kind of sad that there is already pressure about school and they are only 5.

Becky and Jimmy said...

Wow! That really does sound like picking out a college. I had no idea how many different options a child has when it comes to picking kindergarten! Crazy. Maybe this time your luck will change and you'll get your first choice! The pictures are adorable - Katie is so big now! Love you-Becky