Saturday, July 18, 2009

Good night my 1-year old...

Like any other night, Katie got on her jammies, did her nightly routine of hugs and headed to bed. But it was her last night as a one year old. Before leaving Ethan's room, I coached her to say, "I em unn. Deen two." And then she waved bye to brother and tried to crawl in her crib. She's really changed in the last two weeks - or maybe I've just noticed more because her birthday is coming up. Either way, it is bittersweet..as all moms know.

One of my poignant childhood memories is every night before our birthday, my dad would ask us kids how old we were. We would respond with our age and then he would reply, "That is the last time you'll have/get to say you are ___ years old!" It was always exciting for me as a kid, but it takes on a whole new meaning as I watch my little one year old first hold up one finger and then two. They grow so fast!

3 comments:

Nichole said...

Happy Birthday

Emily said...

Bitter sweet it is. Happy Birthday! I've enjoyed catching up on your life. I definitely need a hair bow class. Way to keep your patience with the broken CD in the computer! The move is in 2 weeks?

amanda said...

Happy Birthday cute girl!!! Enjoy every minute of that cute innocent face cause they turn into something else before too long!!!! Ha Ha