Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mommy, where are you?

Last Friday/Saturday, Greg took Ethan on the Father/Son campout with our church group. Katie and I stayed home and had a fun girls' night. We went out to eat and shopped at Cabelas for Father's Day stuff and then came home, read books, and I put her to bed.

While sitting at the computer working on my dad's Father's day photos, I heard loud banging. Three times. Now, I will admit it. I don't like having my husband gone. When he traveled a lot, I got used to it, but I never liked it. So, I called a friend and she stayed on the phone with me while I locked up the whole house - the garage man door, the front door, the slider, and to take extra precautions, I locked the garage door leading into the house and the dog door (both we never lock). And I went to bed.

As I got ready the next morning, Katie started fussing for breakfast. So, I hurried out of the shower, put on my robe, threw my hair in a towel and took her downstairs to feed her. I figured I would finish getting ready while she ate. Upon entering the kitchen, I smelled a horrible odor coming from the trash. I strapped Katie in her chair, poured some cereal, and took the trash out - to the garage - CLICK.

I was locked out. I had no phone, no cell phone, no shoes, heck, no underwear or make-up on! I weighed my options.

#1.) Coax Katie over to the slider to take out the piece of wood holding it shut (no, she was stuck in her chair).
#2.) Get the next door neighbor's little guy to crawl through my dog door.
I am good friends with the next door neighbors, but I really, really, really didn't want to go over there in that state. (besides, I locked the dog door, too)
#3.) Break in with a credit card. This always worked in our old house. So, I tried it - and failed. This house is apparently higher quality - yeah.
#4.) Take the screens off and find an open window.
#5.) Wait for Greg to arrive (but I no idea when that would be)

I went with options #4. Katie was watching me the whole time from her chair going "A Mama?" and I kept saying, "Mama's coming, honey." Then, under my breath, "Mommy is just a crazy lady in her robe in the backyard who locked herself out!" I never wished so hard in my life for Baxter to grow thumbs.

It took about 20 minutes to get the screens off (and trips back and forth gravel on bare feet to find screwdrivers and other tools), but I finally managed to open the smallest window off my porch. The only problem is that because of narrowness of the window and the difference in floor heights, I had to go in head first. Our backyard neighbors were out and who knows what they thought. I wouldn't have blamed them for calling in an indecent exposure incident :).

Over the last few days, I have also lost one of our phones and taken Ethan to school 4 hours early. Greg's response today was, "And we trust you with kids?" Point taken.

10 comments:

Diane said...

Oh Sally! I'm SO sorry but I'm also laughing SO hard! We've all been there hun-- indecent exposure and all! You're one awesome momma! Keep up the good work and keep laughing at the craziness!
:)

amanda said...

That is my own worst fear!!!! Ha ha hey at least you had a robe on and weren't just in your underwear!!!! That is hilarious!!!! Sorry for laughing at your expense!!!

Emily said...

Eeek! Oh lame!! Don't feel too bad though...we all get out of sync with routine sometimes and then, not-so-convenient things happen (like me killing the battery on my car by leaving the lights on like 3 times in a month) Glad you finally made it in. I bet the neighbors loved it...:)

Sally said...

Thanks, guys - yea I was laughing pretty hard when I told Greg the story. He had that look on his face of 1/2 "it figures - only you could do that" and "how after 11 years do you find new ways to get into trouble?" At least it makes for a great story! LOL

Becky and Jimmy said...

That does make for a great story! Glad it ended okay - whew! At least you left Katie with some food...I've seen how she gets when she is hungry. Now THAT could have been a disaster! :)

Sally said...

So true, Becky!

EmpireStateGreenway said...

I would seriously have paid real money to be one of your neighbors just to witness that whole incident. I have this mental image of you in a bathrobe, squeezing throught a window head first. (With me being on the inside view of course!) Your face must have been priceless!

Sally said...

Yes, I think priceless would describe it. In fact, I was in such a hurry to get in the window to prevent my robe from falling that I planted my hands right into the dog dishes and then had to move those. And I was so happy to have the window open that I didn't think to remove the toel, which totally weighed down my head (thus increasing the trajectory of my rear!)

Katie was just looking at me the whole time I'm crawling through the window like "Can I try that next?"

Billy and Megan said...

That is hilarious- I thought we were bad for locking ourselves out yesterday! The garage entry battery was dead, my keys were in my purse inside, and Billy's were in the lockbox. Luckily, our realtor had just dropped us off. We had to call him to have him let us into our house!!!! Maybe we need to make another spare key :)

Sheila said...

Oh Sally, that was classic. I loved every minute of your tale. Thanks for the amusement!