Monday, October 26, 2009

Gospel Art Critic

A copy of this well-known painting hangs on the wall of the foyer outside our chapel here in Monroe. On Sunday, I was sitting out there with Katie during Sacrament Meeting when she pointed to the picture. I asked her who it was and she just looked at me with a puzzled expression, so I said "Is that Jesus?"

She smiled and said "Jesus!"... and then hit me.

I was a bit taken aback and asked her why she hit me. She pointed to the picture, said "Jesus" again... and hit me.

I realized then that it did in fact look a bit like John the Baptist was restraining Jesus from striking him. I would accept Katie hitting me as a possible commentary on the historical inaccuracy of the painting's use of the modern LDS method of grasping forearms during a baptism to help stabilize the person being baptized, but she's two years old so I figured I'd better set the record straight.

I smiled and, in a very fatherly voice, told her that John was holding Jesus so He could go under the water and come back up. We even did a little dip together to demonstrate the concept. I was confident that the issue had been resolved -- right up to the point when she got a very serious expression on her face, shook her head slowly, and said "No, no, Jesus - be nice."

That's one phrase I never thought I hear.

4 comments:

amanda said...

I think it was the fatherly voice that did it!!!

Petersen Palace said...

haha she's so cute! And Simeon and Margaret are living in NV now so you can see them whenever you want! :) They have permanently relocated to the mainland. :)

Becky and Jimmy said...

Ha ha ha! I am laughing so hard. She is really something else!

Emily said...

Hilarious!