Monday, September 21, 2009

Welcome to the Big City

I guess I've always taken feeling safe for granted, not anymore....

Last spring when one of Greg's co-workers visited Seattle with their family, they left their rental car parked by the beach. Moments later, a guy came running up asking if that was their car parked out on the street because someone just smashed the window and took everything inside - his laptop, the wife's purse, everything....

In July, when Greg and I came to visit, someone at one of the hotels or restaurants we used stole our credit card number and used it to make an unauthorized purchase. We had to file a police report, fraud report, and get a new credit card.

The night Bonnie and I visited the Space Needle was also the night BUMPERSHOOT was going on = 60,000 rowdy people downtown. As we walked from the Space Needle to the parking garage, a man who look like hell itself could have spat him out (long hair, underwear hanging out, and a beer in his hand), broke away from his posse and stopped in front of Bonnie and wouldn't let her pass. Finally, I grabbed his arm and shoved him past her. I was never so scared in my entire life and I was never so grateful for the pepper spray my brother-in-law had given her that we had put in her front pocket. I was also grateful for the police that were standing on the next corner. (In retrospect, I realize grabbing him was probably NOT the smartest thing to do).

Last night, thieves wiped the midst off every car in the hotel parking lot. If they saw something worth taking and the car was open, they stole it. Both our car and truck had handswipes (is that even a word) on them, but luckily, nothing was stolen. No security cameras, no recourse...I'm so glad I told maintenance to fix the broken screen on our room (it is at the back of the hotel and backs to all the brush of the walking trail.)

Can I go home now?

6 comments:

Elder Max and Sister Pat said...

Hopefully you will soon have a home where you will feel much more secure.

Paige said...

That's a pretty awful introduction to this area. Nothing like that has ever happened to me. I hope you'll have only good memories about this big city from now on.

Greg said...

I've been told by several people at work and church that there is a reason why they are willing to commute an hour one way for work. I think our little "hick town" will be a much nicer place to live when we finally get there.

Sally said...

Yes, it has been crazy, but I hope the small town will be much better. I'm sure we'll grow to like it, it's just quite the adjustment so far.

amanda said...

This is the toughen you up part... I guess!!!! This will leave stories for you to tell your children for years to come!!!! Sorry it is so unsettling!!!

Shawna said...

OK, I have the Heeby-jeebies! I'm already walking around our neighborhood here wondering who stole my sisters lawn-mower. Is this world safe? Remember when I had the guy at my back window??? I'm glad I'm LDS and have Faith, Hope & Trust. I can't do anything about it... so try not to worry too much!