Sunday, September 20, 2009

Washington Wildlife

(First, we apologize for the crudeness of these photos. They were taken with our cell phones because we didn't expect to be on a wildlife excursion.)

So, right out the back of our "hotel suite" there is a trail that leads around a couple ponds. It is a nice little hike with a couple bridges and so forth. The brush on either side of the walking paths is quite dense, but in several places, you can look down and see business parks below. Most days, I've seen men and women in their work clothes (khakis and button-up shirts with work badges) jogging along this trail. A lot of people walk their dogs there, which is what we do.

A couple days ago, Katie and the dogs and I were walking along and we came across a blue heron. It was the closest I have EVER been to a bird that size in the wild. It just sat there across the stream from us. I couldn't believe my eyes.Then, when Greg took Katie and the dogs out today, they saw bunnies, bunnies, bunnies. They are everywhere and not very scared of humans. You can see them here ay lunch looking for scraps from the business workers.


My only concern is when I walk, I see/hear a rustling in the brush and I never know if it is a nice little bunny or the marmot Greg saw that was bigger than Baxter or something else.....we'll just say Washington Wildlife has been our first adjustment (right after the time zone change.)

3 comments:

Brad said...

Just wait until you see your first forest slug...

Sally said...

Yea, saw one of those and I about lost my cookies. I can't even LOOK at them!

Greg said...

Actually, Sally has not really seen the ones Brad is talking about (just ask Andrea). I've been keeping that bit of information to myself...