Well, I'm only going to 29 for one more hour, so I guess I'll go out of my twenties blogging - what better way, right? A couple weeks ago I was joking with Greg that I'm entitled to a mini mid-life crisis. My daughter turned one on July 19th, my son left me for Kindergarten on July 23rd, my dog reached his mid-life (7 people years) on July 31st. I'm turning 30 tomorrow and Aug. 12 will be our 10th wedding anniversary. CRAZY!
I don't know that I have anything profusely profound to say. I mean, even if I had a noteworthy thought it, I'm not very articulate on paper, so it wouldn't translate well. I'll just leave my twenties saying that as I reflect on my life, I feel very blessed, particularly for my family and friends. Throughout my life I've been taught and buoyed up by so many different people.
My friend, Kelly Beckstrand was in my best friend in elementary school and we had the same teachers 2nd through 5th grade. I just got to talk to her today. I'm so glad we're still in touch!
My friends, Jennifer and Linnea, were my church friends during my early years and we had some good times together at Girls' Camp.
Then, in high school, I had a tight group of church and school friends that did everything together - Amber, Anne, Mindy, Lara, Heather, Caitlin, Liza, Amanda, Ben, Brooke, Larry, Emily, Adam, Matt, Larry, Kit, Kyle. They built me up and made me smile at a time when most people are concerned with popularity and tearing others down.
In college, I found three sisters in my roommates, Sheila, Jenn, and Nancy. We went through so much together that it would be impossible to thank them for every moment. But, they touched my life when I needed it the most and for that, I will be forever grateful. I found other friends as I worked in the BYU Library - Paige, Lark, & Hadil. Beyond that, BYU was filled with other wonderful people who I grew to know and love - Jen, Stephanie, Lauren, Carey, Natasha, and Crystal.
But I found my best friend at BYU - Greg. He has been everything to me and I cannot begin to describe what a wonderful influence he's had on my life. We'll celebrate 10 years next week, so I'll pay tribute to him then. Suffice it to say, that he is the best thing that ever happened to me. He supported me in everything I've wanted to do and taken me on this great adventure called life.
And now, living seven years here, I've been blessed with more friends that I could ever imagine. Even though Greg and I are far away from our families, we never feel alone because of all the wonderful people that surround us and love us. Although I know I'll miss some people, I want to give a quick shout out to a few of my friends to say thank you for what you have taught me.
Sarah - you have taught me charity.
Megan S. - you have taught me acceptance.
Trish - you have taught me organization and diplomacy* :)
Amanda - you have taught me to "Just do it!"
Paige - you have inspired me to run.
Carol - you have taught me patience.
Diane - you have taught me to try new things.
Emma - you have taught me confidence.
Jessica - you have taught me how to parent with the gospel.
Megan B. - you have taught me to spend more time with my kids.
Shawna - you have taught me to be myself.
Amanda Johnsen - you have taught me how to be intelligent but down-to-earth at the same time.
Besides these, you all teach me little things everyday. I'm incredibly grateful for everyone who has touched my life and made me who I am today.
I couldn't leave this post without the people who shaped me from the beginning - my family. My dad, John, made growing up FUN. He was always a child at heart and made my childhood special. He taught me the importance of education and is the major reason I went on to get my MBA. My mother, Georgia, has taught me everything I know, but mostly to never give up and trust in the Lord. As a mother myself, I now more fully appreciate the wonderful job she did. My sister, Becky, is my constant nurturer; Jeffrey my male twin :); Johnny, my loyal friend, and Bonnie, my other spunky, beautiful, articulate sister whose smile and voice always cheer me up.
And my extended family has helped me grow into my roles as a wife and mother. Greg's parents, Max and Pat, accepted me unconditionally as part of their family. And all the brother and sister-in-laws did as well. They have taught me about family harmony and the happiness that comes through righteous living. I'm so grateful to have married into their family.
With that, I better sign off. I'm looking forward to my 30s...I'm sure 40 will be here quick enough! :)
4 comments:
Welcome to the 30's!! :) Have a great birthday!
Sally, It doesn't sound like a crisis at all you have so beautifully written all of the wonderful reasons that make you who you are. I will have to say that you are a spectacular person that has taught me all the things you listed to your friends and so much more!! You are a person unlike any other I have met. You know how to take a challenge and turn it around to be a triumph. I often think I wish I could be more like you. As one of you friends you have always made me feel special in my own way and that has made a difference in my life. By the number of names you remember through your life it sounds like that is just a talent of yours. Now that I have written a novel.... Happy Birthday to a very special friend!!- Amanda
Sally, Happy Birthday!!!:) I love what you wrote about all of your friends, sounds like you have some truely wonderful friends. I just want you to know how truely blessed I feel to have you as my friend, you have inspired me and taught me so much! I was so nervous when we bought our house that I would be able to make some good friends. I never thought that I would have such a great friend right next door, It must have been meant to be!:) Thanks for being you and for all you do!!!
Megan
Dear Sally,
Happy Birthday!
You made me cry. I just turned 30 in April, so I know how you feel. Thanks for your tribute to all your friends and family. I love you so much and am so gald our lives have crossed paths. Love Emma
Post a Comment