At the end of January, I decided it was time to start getting back in shape from having Katie, so I started running. I've always done the Women's Fitness Celebration in September and this year my goal was to run the 5k in less than 35 minutes - the time required to be in the competitive wave. I didn't really want to compete, I just wanted to be able to run without having to weave in and out of all the walkers. Now, for many people 3 miles in 35 minutes is nothing, but I grew up having asthma and I wouldn't dare call my 5'4" squat italian frame the ideal runner's physique. So, it's been a struggle to run, but I've stuck with it.

Then I heard about the 5k Race for the Cure at the beginning of May. So, I ran in honor of my Grandma Burton who has survived Breast Cancer twice and is still alive and well at 84! It was a wonderful feeling to run with all those woman and I was surprised to finish under 28 minutes. I finally felt like I had a decent running time. I continued to run with a friend and then last week we heard about a 6k in our town. So, we signed up and ran this morning at 7:30am. It was a small group, but I'm happy to report I placed FIRST for my age group Age 20-29 :)! My friend, Shawna, placed first for her group Age 30-39! Way to go! And it was my other friend's first 6k in awhile and she did AWESOME - way better than my first 5k! Yea, Paige! It was a great feeling for all of us. Now, true to fashion, I did not win ANY of the raffled prizes (which were AWESOME, of course), but I did get a cool $20 gift certificate to a running shop for placing first.
I guess $20 and losing over 20 pounds is a pretty good return on exercising :). Thanks to everyone who supported me and was happy for me! Special thanks to my babysitter, Kymber, for watching Katie, so I could go!
8 comments:
Wow! Congrats. That is fantastic-especially the loosing 20 pounds bit
Great job at running your personal best! How exciting for you to have all your training pay off.
WAY TO GO!! That's really really cool! Too bad about the raffle but 20 lbs less and able to exercise like that is AWESOME!!
:) Diane
Go, Sally! That's great! I am in a four-miler in August...what was I thinking? You've inspired me to try to do well in it!
Sally -
You are an inspiration to us all! Congrats! I'm so proud of you :)
Your lil' sis - Becky
Thanks, everybody!
Congrats - that's super cool. As you know, I'm training for a 5k, and my goal is to finish in 30 minutes, running the entire time. I typically "run" a 5k in about 35 minutes, but that includes some walking. Maybe I should train with you!
Sally, The pictures of Jeff & Nicole's visit and your time together are delightful! You all did so much - and appeared to have a good time! Katie is such a beauty! Ethan continues to be a character! I love them both! Love Always, PaPa Burton 07/15/08
Post a Comment