For a couple weeks in December, I helped the "pre-Sunbeam children" go to Primary for singing time. Everything was going fine. Katie and her three little friends were sitting in their chairs on either side of me and I had one little girl who was happy as long as she was in my lap. Then, we began to see the closing song - Scripture Power. We love this song and have sung it many times in Family Home Evening. As we started to sing, I looked around the room at all the kids and smiled because they were so cute singing with such gusto. Then, my eyes fell on Katie and this big old lump formed in my throat. Out of NOWHERE.
My baby girl was going to Sunbeams.
I have never gone from being completely fine to having my heartstring tugged so quickly. Later when I related this incident to the Bishop's wife (and Katie's soon-to-be Sunbeam teacher), she said, "I call it watching your kids grow up right before your eyes." I have never heard it put so well and it was SO true. Even now, as I think about that moment, I tear up.
I guess the reason I decided to write this today is because we just got back from a speech session where I had another "growing up" moment. Katie started going to a speech specialist last October. Since then, we have been working hard on "s" blends. among other things. After two weeks of cancelled appointments (either them or me), we went in today and the speech specialist noticed a remarkable improvement. Don't get me wrong, I am THRILLED.
Beyond thrilled.
Every time she says a word correctly, I jump for joy inside. But, there is a little part of me, a very small part that will miss her special language.
"Mommy, I love you 'kee-kuz' you are my match."
I think I'll go get the video camera.
3 comments:
Thanks for sharing your story. I was totally thinking about you the other day when I walked into the business building for something. I miss you!
Bittersweet...the one emotion I was NOT at all prepared for when I entered motherhood!! I love this post and admire you so much as a mother, Sally Anne. That little Katie Sue is really something else and I have a feeling that no matter how old she gets...she will always be your little girl. She is the cutest Sunbeam by far!!! ;) Love ya!
There is a song called, "Where are you going?" Don't listen to it if you don't want to bawl. Mo-Tab does a beautiful version of it. Anyway, it talks about little girls growing up and it is very bittersweet...it makes you want to hang onto EVERY moment.
Post a Comment