Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A New Adventure

Last Sunday, Greg and I received callings in our new ward. In the LDS church, every member of the congregation (also called a ward) is given a responsibility or "calling" to help run the programs of the church. For the last 9 years, I have served in the Primary program where I oversaw the teaching and activities or children from 18 months to 12 years old. It was wonderful.


On Sunday, I was called to the Young Women's program where I will help with the teaching and activities of young girls ages 12-18. So, tonight, I am going to my first Young Women's activity in 14 years. I am a bit nervous. We are suppose to introduce ourselves, so I had to think about who I am and what I like to do. I have to give a shout out to my friend, Jenn, for her wonderful post about hobbies. I've got to think of something to make me sound more interesting than watching TV and blogging....maybe I can develop an exotic hobby in the next 4 hours. Any suggestions?

P.S. For those of you interested, Greg was called back into the Elders' Quorum.

7 comments:

Brad said...

Gingerbread house making... that's my suggestion.

Emily said...

Welcome to YW! I've been in it since I was 12, with a few brief hiatus's:) You'll love it and have fun...the best thing to do is love the girls and be yourself and talk about things they like to talk about.:)You'll be great!!!

Shawna said...

Sally... be you. Just be you and they will love you! Plus... what age? If it's the beehives... they love everyone and everything! Laurels... they never show up enough to care. :o)

amanda said...

Guess according to Shawna if you have Miamaid you are plum out of luck!!! Just kidding. I think you will find that this is one of the funnest callings!!! They are fantastic. It makes you feel young again!!!

Sally said...

Yes, I am the first counselor. So, I am over Mia Maids! We have a Beehive adviser and a Laurel adviser, but not a Mia Maid, so I get to teach this Sunday. Nothing like jumping in with both feet :).

Emily said...

That's great. I was just made the Beehive advisor. My first day of teaching it was me and 1 beehive.

Sheila said...

I think it's crazy, but I'm being released as 1st counselor in YW tomorrow and being put in as primary music chorister---AAAHHH! I am broken hearted at having to leave my YW but I haven't ever served in primary except as nursery leader over 8 nurseries for 1 year. So, we've switched! I was so afraid of YW when I got called, but be patient and give yourself some time and the girls will get to love you. Let them REALLY know you! You're SO lucky!