Sunday, July 25, 2010

It's a JUNGLE out there!

This was my first year going back to Girls Camp since I was a Young Woman and I have to say, it was a lot of fun. I was a "Unit Mom" over 2nd year girls, which meant most of them were about 13 years old. We had an AWESOME group of 14 girls. They got along great, followed the rules, and made camp wonderful for EVERYONE! The other unit mom had been to camp a LOT, so I took a lot of notes.

To go along with the annual scripture theme of Joshua 1:9, the camp theme was "It's a JUNGLE out there, we are NOT AFRAID!"
Our group in the yellow shirts
Laurene made a LOT of cute wooden decorations for the cabin
and surrounding areas

A "Courageous Acts" box. Anytime a girl saw another girl do something courageous, the courageous girl could choose a gift out of the box. They were all jungle - themed items found at garage sales and dollar stores.

We also had animal crackers, jungle bubbles, zebra cakes, jungle animal necklaces, scarves, and jungle fruit snacks.

Each girl received a personalized pillowcase and plaque for her bunk. One of the YW made cute knapsnacks for each girl as a Good Works project, but I didn't get a picture.


Our Camp

3 comments:

amanda said...

What a beautiful place and what fun things you did for the girls!!! Looks like you had a great time! Sally I have never seen you camping before!! That would have been fun!!! Can't wait to see you in Boise!!!

Lynette said...

Sally,
I haven't looked at your blog for a long time and just spent the last 30 minutes taking in your Washington adventures. It looks like you are settling in and having a fantastic time. Your yard looks so beautiful and green! My grandmother lived in Carnation and I always loved visiting the lush mountains. Have a great summer!

Sally said...

Hi Lynette!

We live right up the street (15 minutes) from Carnation and we love it!